Mushrooms with a Southwest-style kick! A little salsa, some fresh veggies, cheese and avocado is all it takes!
- 8 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup salsa, red or green, divided
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400’F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Brush tops of portobello caps with the oil and place them, stemmed-side-down, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove portobellos from the oven and carefully drain and discard any juices. Return to pan, this time, stemmed-side-up. Increase oven temperature to 450’F. Fill each cap with 1 tablespoon salsa then top each with spinach, beans, bell pepper, and both cheeses. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro and remaining salsa just before serving.
- Category: Dinner