Think you can’t make your own pasta? Then you haven’t made spatzle! Learn how easy it is to make this classic German pasta/dumpling!
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt and nutmeg. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Dough should resemble pancake batter.
- Set a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Add salt (like you would with any other pasta). Set a spatzle maker or perforated pan/cheese grater over the boiling water and add dough. Press the dough through the holes using a spatula, directly into boiling water. Once spatzle rises to the top, remove with a slotted spoon or strainer to a sheet pan. Repeat the process until all the dough is cooked.
- If you’d like to cook spatzle further, now’s the time! Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and let melt and brown a little in the pan. Add the spatzle and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove and toss with fresh herbs of your choice!