Homemade Basil Buttermilk Dressing is the star here! It helps the flavors of the spinach salad shine!
Basil Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, cooled
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
To Make the Basil Buttermilk Dressing
Place ingredients in the bowl of a small food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, finely chop the basil and whisk with the buttermilk, garlic, salt, pepper and mayonnaise until combined.
To Make the Spinach Salad
- Place the spinach in a serving bowl. Drizzle half of the dressing over the spinach and toss to evenly coat. Garnish with the red onion, avocado, strawberries, walnuts and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- Salad dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator.
- Toast walnuts by spreading them out on an ungreased pan. Bake at 350’F for 7-8 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time, until golden brown and fragrant.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: spinach, salad, basil, buttermilk, quick salad