Refreshing and satisfying, these spring rolls are a perfect for an appetizer or light lunch.
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 package bean thread noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 5 small lettuce leaves (Bibb or baby green or red leaf lettuce)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 5 each spring roll skins/wrappers
- Combine the lime juice, honey, soy sauce, crushed red pepper and water in a small saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Toss 1-2 teaspoons of the dipping sauce with the prepared bean thread noodles.
- Prepare a large bowl of warm water for softening the spring roll skins and lay out all of the filling ingredients; the lettuce, carrots, peanuts, mint, basil and cilantro.
- Remove 1 spring roll skin from the package and gently submerge in the bowl of warm water. Gently swish until spring roll skin becomes loose and flexible. Carefully remove it from the water and place on a clean kitchen countertop. Place one lettuce leaf on the bottom and then top with some noodles, carrots, peanuts and herbs. Take one edge and fold over to meet the other edge, then pull back on the fillings (like you’re making a burrito) until tight. Then fold in the sides and continue rolling the spring roll until sealed. (If you break the skin, just get another one and try again! If you can’t roll it, don’t worry about it. Just place everything in the middle and fold it up. I promise it will taste the same!)
- Slice rolls in half, if desired and serve with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 260
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 1