More crust and more crumble! That’s what these Streusel Apple Pie Bars are all about!
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon diced cold butter, divided
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced (about 3 cups sliced apples)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350’F and line an 8×8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and process until it looks like coarse flour, about 10-15 seconds. Add the flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, salt and baking powder and pulse to combine. Add the 6 tablespoons of butter and process until mixture resembles wet sand, about 20-25 seconds. Remove 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare the filling. Heat a large, heavy skillet such as cast iron over medium heat. Add butter and apples. Cook for 10 minutes or until just a bit softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Spoon mixture evenly over the baked crust. Using your fingers, gather reserved crumble mixture into clumps and scatter on top of the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until top is golden. Cool completely before slicing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert