Summer Grain Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette
Close your eyes and envision the perfect salad. What does it look like? Mine has whole grains, veggies, fruits and cheeses! Would you like my tips for creating the perfect salad? Great! Grab them below along with my recipe for Summer Grain Salad below!
Add Grains to Your Salad
If you’re looking to make your salad more satisfying, then add some whole grains. I love salads that leave me feeling like I ate a meal, but aren’t heavy. Grains help with that! Not only do they boost satisfaction, but they also proivde texture and an array of nutrients.
Add Fruit to Your Salad
Salads that are one-dimensional are boring. Add some fruit for a touch of sweetness to contrast all of the savory components in there. You can use fresh fruit or dried fruit. If you use dried fruit, be sure to choose one that doesn’t have any added sugar.
Make Your Own Dressing
Store-bought dressings are easy, that’s for sure, but making your own is also EASY! Most dressings are only a few ingredients and made with items you likely already have stashed in your kitchen. So no more excuses! Make your own for a more awesome salad.
Now It’s Your Turn
As always, it’s time to set you free. Use the recipe below for inspiration or create something magical on your own. If you make this Summer Grain Salad, be sure to snap a pic and share it on social! I’d love to see your creation. Want to watch me make it? Head to my IGTV or YouTube channel next!
Enjoy summer in salad form! Nothing beats a satisfying, refreshing bowl of veggies, fruits and whole grains! Set this Summer Grain Salad on repeat!
For the dressing
- ½ cup seedless watermelon, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
For the salad
- 3 cups cooked wheat berries*
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted & chopped
- ½ cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced small
- 1 cup seedless watermelon, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
To make the dressing:
- Combine the watermelon, mustard, honey, vinegar and salt together in a blender or small food processor. Blend until combined. Add the oil and blend again. Set aside.
To make the salad:
- Place the wheat berries on the bottom of a large serving bowl. Top with blueberries, walnuts, corn, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion and watermelon. Toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Garnish with feta cheese and mint.
* To cook wheat berries: rinse 1 cup of wheat berries and place in the bottom of an Instant Pot. Add 3 cups of water and cover with the lid. Cook using manual function for 30 minutes. Slow release for 10 minutes, then manually release remaining pressure.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Salad
Keywords: salad, watermelon, whole grains