A delightful bread salad made with chewy whole grain baguette tossed with fresh tomatoes, basil and a simple vinaigrette.
- 1 (12 ounce) baguette, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced to a paste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, if large
- 1 cup loosely packed basil, sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350’F. In a large bowl toss the bread pieces with 1 tablespoon oil and spread out evenly onto a large baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While bread is toasting, make the dressing. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the mustard, red wine vinegar and garlic paste. Season with salt and pepper, then add the onion, pepper, tomatoes and basil. Toss to coat. Add the bread cubes and toss again. Serve immediately.
To get rid of some of the pungency of a fresh onion, chop and then place in a bowl with cold water to cover. Let sit a few minutes, then drain and add to salad.