The only Black Bean Burger Recipe you’ll need!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot finely shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs (or whole wheat bread crumbs)
- 8 small whole wheat buns
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Add the jalapeño, onion and carrot to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook 1 additional minute. Add the black beans and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and mash with the back of a fork until most beans are smashed. Stir in the quinoa, walnuts, egg and bread crumbs. Shape into 8 equal-sized patties (about a rounded ½ cup each).
- Wipe out the large non-stick skillet. Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Flip over, cover with a lid or foil and turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 7 minutes. (Note – If your skillet is on the small side, cook burgers in batches).
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: veggie burger, black bean burger