A fresh and tangy salsa made with fresh tomatillos, perfect for tacos or for enjoying with tortilla chips.
- 15 ounces tomatillos, skins removed and washed
- 5 ounces white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, skins removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil and line a sheet pan with foil that has been coated in non-stick cooking spray.
- Quarter the tomatillos and add them to a bowl along with the onion, garlic and olive oil. Toss to coat. Pour mixture out onto prepared baking sheet.
- Broil 4 minutes, stir, then broil 2 more minutes. Stir again and broil an additional 2 minutes or until tomatillos and onion are blistered and browned. Remove and cool slightly before transferring to a blender or the bowl of a food processor. Add the jalapeño and lime juice and puree** until smooth. Season with salt to taste, if desired.
- Makes about 2 cups salsa.
- **When pureeing hot or warm liquids, use extreme caution. Allow to cool slightly first, work in small batches if needed, and allow a place for steam to escape.