A flavorful turkey burger topped with a spicy, sweet ketchup made from cherries and chipotle peppers.
For the Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup pitted, sweet cherries, chopped
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup water
For the burgers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 small, whole wheat buns, split and toasted
- 8 green leaf lettuce leaves, washed and torn
To Make the Ketchup
- Add the oil to a small saucepot and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring often until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 more minute. Add the cherries and cook about 3 more minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a simmer. Cook the cherry mixture uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the thyme stem and transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Allow to cool slightly, then puree mixture (allowing a place for steam to escape if mixture is still rather warm) until smooth. Alternatively, puree the mixture in the pot using a stick blender.
- Return the mixture back to the sauce pot and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from pot and allow to cool before serving.
For the burgers
- Preheat the grill and clean well with a grill brush.
- Shape the ground turkey into 8 equal-sized patties, about 2-3 tablespoons each. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush the grill grates with canola oil. Place burger patties on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Use a food thermometer to ensure burgers have reached 165’F.
- Place cooked burgers on the buns and top with chipotle ketchup and lettuce.
- Need to turn down the heat? Simply add less chipotle pepper.
- Want to jazz it up? Add a dash of cinnamon or cardamom.
- Want a little more sweetness? Add 1-2 more teaspoons of honey
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 215
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 60