A flavorful twist on a delicious breakfast sandwich.
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ½ cup roasted red bell pepper, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 large eggs, whole
- 4 large eggs, whites only
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 English muffins (preferably whole wheat), toasted
- 2 cups arugula or mixed lettuce greens, cleaned
To Prepare the Harissa
- Place a small skillet over medium heat. Add the caraway and cumin seeds and toast until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Swirl the pan while toasting to prevent burning. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chili powder and stir for one more minute. Remove the seeds and chili powder from the pan, transfer to a clean coffee or spice grinder (a mortar and pestle will work too) and grind into a fine powder.
- Add the ground spices to a food processor, followed by the garlic, roasted red bell pepper, olive oil, and sugar. Purée, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the paste is smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To Make the Breakfast Sandwich
- Heat the remaining oil a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onion is softened.
- While the onion is cooking, whip together the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the pan with the onions and cook for one minute. Do not stir. Using a spatula, gently fold and lift the egg mixture, allowing the uncooked portions to flow under and cook. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until eggs are cooked, but still moist.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of harissa on each half of the English muffins. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the muffin bottoms and top with ½ cup of greens. Serve immediately.
- Note: This recipe will yield approximately 1 cup of harissa. Leftover harissa can be used as a condiment for burgers, sandwiches and wraps. It can also be mixed with olive oil or yogurt and used as a marinade. Refrigerate in a sealed container and use within 2-4 days.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 604
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 15
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 372