Yields about 10 Belgian-style waffles, 4-inches by 4 1/2-inches
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or canola oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and flax seed.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milks, butter, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Note that the batter will be slightly lumpy. Gently stir in the coconut.
- Cook waffles following waffle iron manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve garnished with freshly chopped mango and toasted coconut.
- These waffles freeze well. Place them in a freezer bag, separated by pieces of parchment and freeze until ready to eat!
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 368
- Fat: 25
- Saturated Fat: 17
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 59
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 88