Vegetarian Muffin Tin Tacos
Do you struggle getting food on the table fast? Are you trying to manage a house full of crazy-hungry kids? Or are you asking yourself, “why did I invite my friends over for dinner after work?” Then this recipe is for you! Muffin Tin Tacos are the solution for whenever someone asks, “What’s for dinner?”
The Answer is Always Tacos
For sure the answer to any meal question is always “tacos.” Hands-down this my #1 favorite food. I’ll save my adoration for them for another email, but that love is what inspired this recipe. Like many of you, my life is crazy. One minute the clock says 5:30am and the next it says 6pm! Wait, what? How did that happen? Life flies by and sometimes you need to get food on the table FAST, muffin tin taco fast, that is!
Muffin Tin Tacos are a “Thing”
They are! I promise. In fact, besides being inspired by my love of tacos, I was also inspired by this month’s Recipe Redux challenge of putting a meal together with 3 things you already have in your kitchen. NICE! I love challenges like this. Of course I always have tortillas, Greek yogurt, beans and salsa in my house, so I knew I wanted to do tacos. But then, I thought, “Try tacos a new way Sara.” Oh, ok, fine. Then I opened my jammed kitchen drawer and saw my muffin tin. Aha!
Not a One Trick Pony
That muffin tin isn’t just for muffins anymore! Right? I mean everyone wants to make anything and everything in a muffin tin. And I have to say, I like the idea. Beyond being kind of obnoxiously cute, the food that you can make in them is practical. It’s an instant hand-held piece of fabulousness! Wonderful for anyone, young or old, male or female, you know what I mean. So, I jammed some tortillas in a muffin tin, filled them with beans and cheese and some veggies and it was GOOD! So good, I’m sharing them with you!
So grab that apron and get your muffin tin out and I promise you’ll have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes! How awesome is that!? And this one is even completely vegetarian and gluten free. Yay! I top mine here with avocado, salsa and Greek yogurt, but use any toppings you like. Serve them for lunch, dinner, a snack, an appetizer, whatever! They’re sure to be a hit!
When life comes at you fast, you may need a meal idea just as fast. These Vegetarian Muffin Tin Tacos come together quickly with kitchen food staples! They’re also gluten free!
- 24 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 3/4 cups cooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- salsa, for serving
- 1 avocado, sliced, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350’F.
- Cut circles out of tortillas using a 3 3/4-4-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 tortilla round into a 24 cup muffin tin cup (or two 12 cup muffin tins) and press into muffin cup using a juice glass or deep measuring cup. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Toss beans with salt, cumin, carrot and onions. Distribute half of the cheese among the tortilla cups. Top with a rounded tablespoon of bean mixture, then remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, carefully remove then top with yogurt and salsa just before serving.
Top these little taco cups with anything! Jalapeño slices, shredded lettuce, whatever your heart desires!
- Category: Tacos