A cozy bowl of soup is just what you need! And this Veggie Lentil Soup happens to also be vegan, vegetarian and gluten free!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried green lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 5 cups water or low-sodium broth vegetable broth
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 1 (10-oz) bag baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until brownish-red, about 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, the lentils, water (or broth) and thyme. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup and purée in a blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender and purée for just a few seconds (leaving some texture). Return the blended soup to the pot and add the spinach and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the spinach softens. Season with salt and pepper and finish with lemon juice.
- Category: soup