Whole Wheat Eggnog Waffles
Am I the only one who ends up with an exorbitant amount of eggnog leftover after Christmas? It always seems like there’s some extra kicking around in the bottom of the carton and I’m always left scratching my head, pondering what the heck should I do with it. Most normal people would probably drink it. But, I much prefer to turn it into something magical. And for me, magical equals Whole Wheat Eggnog Waffles.
What’s More Magical Than Waffles?
I would argue that there isn’t anything much more magical than waffles. Well, maybe winning the lottery or sitting in the front row at a U2 concert, but I digress. Waffles are the ultimate breakfast food and when you can add eggnog to them, they become something pretty darn special. But, there are a few things you should know before you actually BUY that eggnog, let me explain.
Your Eggnog Matters When It Comes to Eggnog Waffles
That’s right, your eggnog matters. And it really should matter whether your drinking OR eating it. Here’s the deal. Some of the eggnogs out there are pretty gross. Super sweet and laden with some pretty weird ingredients. If you’re really fancy, I suppose you make your own. But here’s the deal, when it comes to buying eggnog, buy the good stuff. The stuff that tastes good WITHOUT the alcohol. It’ll make your waffles better too.
Tame the Sugar
Yes, I love sugar, but that’s really not what these waffles are all about. And in case you didn’t know, eggnog is usually pretty darn sweet. That means you won’t need to add ANY additional sugar to the waffle batter. Did I really just say that? Yes, I did. Don’t add any more sugar.
It’s Waffle Time!
Yes, it is! So get out your waffle maker and whip up a batch of these festive waffles! Your friends and family will think you’re awesome and they’ll be right, because you ARE awesome! 😉 Need a few more waffle recipes? I thought so! Try my Vanilla Coconut Waffles or my Basic Whole Wheat Freezer Waffles.
Whole Wheat Eggnog Waffles
Got leftover eggnog in your fridge? Don’t drink it! Use it to make these super delicious and EASY-to-make Whole Wheat Eggnog Waffles!
- 1 ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup eggnog
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter, cooled (or vegetable oil)
- Optional mix-ins: ¼ cup chopped pecans, ½ cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the egg, eggnog, milk, sugar and butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in optional mix-ins, if desired.
- Pour the batter into waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a light drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Love your waffle recipes! Very creative!
Thanks mama!!!! Love you!
The very next thing I’m making with my waffle iron!!
Yahoo! I hope you like them!
These eggnog waffles are perfect for brunch this weekend! They look so delicious!
Thanks so much Jessica!!! 🙂