Make a big batch of these Sharp Cheddar-Chile and Ham Waffles and serve them up for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 packed tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 1 cup grated Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheddar Cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Toppings: salsa, sour cream, avocado
- Whisk the buttermilk, eggs and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the butter. Set aside.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the wet mixture all at once to the dry and stir until batter is just combined. A few lumps are fine! Fold in ham, cheese, chiles and chives. Let batter rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron. Brush lightly with oil (canola, avocado, grapeseed all work) and fill with batter. Cook following manufacturer’s instructions. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Waffles are best served right out of the waffle iron. Otherwise, cool on a wire rack to prevent them from getting soft and soggy.
- Serve with toppings of your choice!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: breakfast