Alert, I am trying something new. I know you’re busy, and there are likely times that you don’t even read my blog posts. Don’t worry, I’m not mad, I totally get it. You just want the recipe.
To honor that need for quick info, I’m attempting a new format for my blog posts from time to time. It will include fewer paragraphs and more simple bullet points intended to accommodate you, the time-strapped individual. These simpler posts will include what I want you to know about the recipe, but without all of the fussy wording and paragraphs.
Here we go! To start this blog session off right, I’m sharing this recipe for Greek Pasta Salad. Bon appetit friends!
Why I made this dish: Because my husband loves pasta and pasta salads.
Why I love this dish: Because I don’t like store-bought pasta salads which are often made with refined white pasta with way too much dressing and not enough vegetables.
How this recipe is healthy: Whole wheat pasta adds fiber for satiety and extra vitamins and minerals. Lots of fresh vegetables, which is always a good thing, add even more fiber, vitamins and minerals. And a vibrant, homemade dressing adds brightness and loads of flavor without a bunch of additives, preservatives or other crazy, hard-to-prounounce ingredients.
Greek Pasta Salad
In need of a recipe for a hot summer day? Or are you looking for a great dish to bring to a picnic or potluck? This Greek Pasta Salad is the perfect dish for really any occasion. The familiar Greek flavors are all here and it’s a refreshing, yet hearty dish that’s simple to make.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Pasta
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne (or whole wheat pasta of your choice)GF
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) seeded and sliced cucumber
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small (2 ½ ounces) diced red onion
- 1 medium (6 ounces) red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium (6 ounces) green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup kalamata olives, halved (about 20 olives)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cooled pasta along with the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, olives and feta cheese.
- Whisk the mustard, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and black pepper together in a small bowl. Stream in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Blend until fully incorporated. Pour the dressing over the top of the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Makes about 10 cups pasta salad.
- To boost protein, add some rotisserie chicken or cooked shrimp to this dish.