Spiced Apple Crumble
I love apples. The crisp kind that are a bit sweet, but also a bit tangy. I’ll eat them just as they are, but I sure do love them in dessert. Preferably one with a crust or a crumble. And since I don’t have an apple crumble on my site, well, of course I had to make one! So here it is, my Spiced Apple Crumble.
Desserts Bring Joy
Here’s one thing I’ve learned since I’ve been on this planet – dessert brings joy. Think about it, you’ve just enjoyed a delicious meal and then someone says, “I hope you saved room for dessert!” What’s your response? “Oh no! Not dessert!” Or is it, “Heck yes! Dessert!!!” My guess is that it’s the latter. Because again, dessert brings joy. So that’s why you’ll see lots of dessert recipes here – I like to bring the joy! And here’s one easy way YOU can bring joy – with this Spiced Apple Crumble.
- Apples I use Granny Smith apples here because I love that they hold their shape and provide a bit of sweet-tartness. Other apples will work too, but make sure they’re not super sweet or soft.
- Butter Please use it. There’s not other way to make a crumble that actually tastes good. I like salted butter, but if that’s not your jam, feel free to go with unsalted. It’ll work just fine here too.
- Oats I love the texture of oats in here and I love blitzing them up a bit so that you’re not getting a whole oat stuck in your tooth. Or does that just happen to me? LOL. Anyway, oats are lovely here, don’t skip them.
- Spices Mmmmm, spices make this dish awesome! I’ve listed amounts here, but feel free to adjust to fit your taste preferences.
Tips and Other Ideas for my Spiced Apple Crumble
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Because there’s seriously no better partner to apple crumble than vanilla ice cream. So just do it.
- Add some nuts! I didn’t add any here, but I love the idea of adding some walnuts or pecans to this easy dessert. Chop them up and use them in your crumble.
- Eat it ASAP. This dish is certainly delicious the day after, but it’s MOST delicious right when you pull it out of the oven. So I recommend giving yourself a big serving and enjoying right away.
Your Turn to Make It!
Okay, now you’ve got all of the information you need about this Spiced Apple Crumble, so it’s time for you to make it! Don’t forget to share your creations with me on IG! Just tag me, @cookinRD and I’ll give you plently of love! Happy eating friends!Print
- 3 medium (1 ¼ pounds) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375’F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Toss the apples with the brown sugar, lemon juice and flour in a large bowl. Pour into prepared dish.
- Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture looks like coarse flour, about 10 seconds. Add the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder to the oats in the food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles wet sand, about 20-25 seconds. Sprinkle mixture over apples and bake until topping is golden and apples are bubbly, about 45-50 minutes.
Make it gluten free by swapping in all purpose gluten free flour for the whole wheat flour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert