Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies
I’ve made these Chocolate Chip Brownies at least a thousand times. They are my tried-and-true recipe – the sweet treat I always bring to parties and pot-lucks. So, I can’t believe it’s taken me until now to get the recipe for them to you! My apologies!
Building a Better Brownie
There are of course, a few tricks I use when making these brownies. The first is, I use white whole wheat flour in place of the all-purpose flour. The second is, I use far less sugar than most other brownie recipes and the last is, I use butter, the real stuff, and only 6 tablespoons.
Why do I make these changes? Because I want to satisfy my need for something chocolate, but I also don’t want to break the calorie bank. And with enough fiddling, I think I’ve come up with a pretty darn good chocolate chip brownie.
The Chocolate Chip Brownie
Some people might ask, “why not just leave the brownie recipe alone?” Why mess with a good thing? For me, that’s just not an option. There’s nothing I love more than butchering a recipe and putting it back together in a more nutritious, flavorful way. This brownie was born from several different brownie recipes, all of which were delicious, but not what I wanted. So I tweaked ingredients and made huge messes in my kitchen and finally came up with these chocolate chip brownies. Just the right amount of sweetness and just the right amount of chocolate.
Make a batch and tell me what you think! Note – This is NOT a cake-y brownie, just pure fudgey goodness.
A satisfying treat, these chocolate chip brownies are made with whole grains and mini chocolate chips!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and line a brownie pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Stream in the melted butter and whisk to combine. Stir in the vanilla extract and eggs. Add the flour and stir until just mixed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool in pan before removing and slicing.
- Use really good cocoa powder and chocolate for these, you won’t regret it!
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 49
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 35