Black Bean and Mushroom Tacos
I adore tacos. Besides pizza, no other food is better in my opinion. I love tacos because they are the perfect vehicle for so many other great foods. Just think about it. Tacos are delicious filled with grilled chicken and a simple pico de gallo. They are also fantastic loaded with spicy oven-baked tofu and a refreshing cilantro cabbage slaw. And how about fish? I mean, who doesn’t love a fish taco?
In my house, tacos rule and I am constantly finding new fillings for my favorite food. To honor “Meatless Monday“, I came up with a vegetarian taco recipe that earned two thumbs up from my little family. These black bean and mushroom tacos are bursting with flavor and umami, so even if you’re a meat-eater, you won’t miss the meat. They are simple to make and many of the ingredients can be prepped the day before so that all you have to do is cook and serve. You’re welcome!
Besides being simple and delicious, tacos are also a great, healthy option for any meal. Use a whole grain tortilla and fill it with lean meats or beans and top with plenty of fresh produce like sautéed peppers, shredded kale or romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes and thinly sliced jicama. Or why not fill it with last night’s veggie stir-fry or leftover quinoa and grilled corn? Be creative and have fun with your tacos! The options are truly limitless.
In the mean time, try these black bean and mushroom tacos. They’re sure to make your Meatless Monday meal a success!
Perfect for taco night! A delicious sauté of mushrooms and black beans makes the perfect filling for tortillas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and chopped (any variety is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring until golden, about five minutes. Season with salt and add the garlic, cook 1 more minute. Add the spices, stirring to toast them and prevent them from burning, another minute more. Stir in the black beans, water and lime juice and cook 3-4 minutes, until most of the liquid has been cooked off.
- To serve: Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the black bean and mushroom sauté. Top with cilantro and onions and serve.
- Additional optional toppings: salsa or hot sauce, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, low-fat Greek yogurt
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 121
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 0