Why I made this recipe: Because I love trying new smoothie recipes and mango is one of my favorite fruits.
Why I love this recipe: This one is super creamy, and the touch of coconut makes it feel indulgent and tropical, like you’re on vacation, laying on a beach, reading a good book, under the shade of a palm tree…you get the picture.
How this recipe is healthy: Oh, it’s healthy alright. If you read the ingredient list, you’ll know that this smoothie is jam-packed with good nutrients. It’s loaded with healthy fats from the avocado and flax seed and it’s bursting with powerful vitamins like A and C and important minerals like potassium. And don’t forget the calcium, it’s in there too, thanks to that healthy dose of low-fat milk.
And here are the pretty pictures:
Banana Mango Coconut Smoothie
- 1 small banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk (or other non-dairy milk alternative)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons grated or flaked dried coconut
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Spread the sliced banana and mango cubes evenly out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours. (If desired, this step can be done advance, just be sure to transfer partially frozen fruit to a re-sealable freezer bag to prevent it from sticking to the paper).
- Pour the milk into the bottom of a blender and add the frozen fruit, avocado, ground flax seed, coconut and honey. Puree until smooth. Pour into cups and serve immediately.
- Makes 3 cups.
- This smoothie isn’t mind-numbingly sweet. But if you’re looking for some additional sweetness, add a little more honey.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 52
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 5