Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad
Sometimes you want a salad that isn’t really a salad, know what I mean? I love lettuce, but there are times when I just want a bowl of veggies and maybe some fruit and yummy cheese mixed in? For those times, I love salads just like this Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad.
Growing up, we only had frozen Brussels sprouts. My mom would microwave them and they would be mushy and so incredibly bitter. I couldn’t stand them. It was also the 80’s and we lived in Indiana, so fresh Brussels sprouts just weren’t a “thing.” Flash forward a few decades to when I sampled my first FRESH Brussels sprouts. And wow! What a difference! I instantly became a convert! And while I love these little guys roasted or even deep fried (yes! have you tried them that way?), I really love them shredded, in a salad!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels sprouts can be bitter as we all know, so the key to this salad is balancing that bitter! We don’t want to get rid of it, just tame it a bit. That’s why I add thinly sliced apple (a sweet, but not overly sweet variety works well) as well as some dried cranberries and a hit of honey in the salad dressing. Add a little salty Parm and some crunchy celery and almonds and well, you’ve got one dreamy salad friends!
Let’s Make Salad!
And by “let’s” I mean, you. Ha! I promise you’ll love it! And BTW, feel free to mix things up! If you don’t have dried cranberries, use another dried fruit. And try blue cheese or even goat cheese if you don’t have Parm! Have fun and enjoy! Don’t forget to share your creations with me on IG! Just tag me, @cookinRD and I’ll give you plently of love! Happy eating friends!Print
A crunchy salad with a touch of sweetness, this Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad is perfect for fall or winter, or really, any time!
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded or thinly sliced
- 5 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 pink lady apple, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup freshly shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- Whisk the Dijon, honey and vinegar together in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Stream in the oil while whisking and blend until combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, celery, apple, cranberries and almonds to the bowl. Toss in the dressing until everything is well-coated. Garnish with Parm and serve.
- I like to toast the almonds in a little bit of butter! Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a small skillet over medium heat, add almonds and cook until fragrant and golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- If you don’t have a food processor to shred the Brussels sprouts, buy them pre-shredded. Many grocery stores carry them this way now.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: salad, Brussels sprouts