Lemongrass Turmeric Latte
Turmeric is kind of having a moment right now, in case you didn’t notice. Go to any fun, trendy restaurant and I bet you’ll find something on the menu with turmeric. Why all the fuss? Because it’s cool to be a root right now! How about a little turmeric trend insight and a recipe for a cozy Lemongrass Turmeric Latte?
Turmeric Trend Setter
Here’s the deal, I don’t like to be super trendy, but sometimes, I just can’t help myself. Especially when it comes to cool, dare I say it, nutritious, foods. Sigh, yes, I do love when people get pumped about nourishing food. It makes my job so much easier. But, before you jump on the bandwagon, I’m sure you have a few questions, right?
Sara, Why Turmeric?
Great question. I don’t know. I wish I could predict food trends, but I have a hard enough time putting my hair in a pony tail every day. Someone way cooler than me, gets that job. But here’s why I think turmeric is trending at the moment:
- It gooooorgeous! – It is! I mean, have you seen that color? That brilliant yellow is eye catching and fabulous. It screams, “look at me!” but not in an obnoxious way. Know what I mean?
- It’s easy to use – It is! Because of it’s earthy tones, it’s a super simple way to add depth and interest to almost any dish from almost any cuisine. That’s pretty fabulous, right?
- It’s a root, and ugly things are cool – It’s so non-descript. If you saw it on the side of a road, you might mistake it for a worm. It’s not pretty (well, I think it is, but I have a weird sense of what’s pretty) and most people would look at it and say, “now what?” That makes it cool.
- It’s got nutritional chops – Probably this characteristic is only a favorite among the health-conscious, but it begs to be mentioned. That bright color is thanks to antioxidants which may help with everything from fighting inflammation to protecting from certain types of cancers. That all sounds pretty fantastic to me!
Make a Lemongrass Turmeric Latte
Fabulous, right? I mean, no wonder turmeric is having it’s moment! And I’m relishing in that moment by making my own version of “Golden milk” or a turmeric latte. Many of the recipes you’ll see feature ginger, and I love that, but I didn’t want it in my version. Instead, I wanted something that would give the latte some brightness, less heavy and lemongrass fit the bill. Never worked with lemongrass? It’s ok. It’s easy and you’ll love it. Remove a few of the outer stalks, chop into 2 or 3-inch segments and then pound to release some of it’s essential oils. It smells fabulous and tastes just like it smells. So go on, get in your kitchen and make it! I promise you’ll love it! And if you’ve got a second, tell me how you enjoy turmeric in the comments section below!
Lemongrass Turmeric Latte
- Yield: 1 serving, 6 fluid ounces 1x
Put a refreshing twist on your turmeric latte by adding a little lemongrass! Interested? I thought so, try this simple Lemongrass Turmeric Latte recipe! @cookinRD | sarahaasrdn.com
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated fresh turmeric or 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2–1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, 1-2 outer stalks removed
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the turmeric, coconut milk, almond milk and sugar. Set aside.
- Rinse, chop and lightly pound the lemongrass. Add it to the saucepan and then set the pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Strain solids and serve warm in a mug.
Optional: whisk the latte for 1 minute to add a little froth.
While you can certainly use ground turmeric, fresh turmeric tastes best in this recipe.
Love the addition of lemongrass! I do like turmeric lattes but they can get boring so this is the perfect way to spice it up!
woo hoo! Fantastic! Give it a try!
Yum!!! This sounds super relaxing. I love adding turmeric wherever I can 🙂
Right? It’s so wonderful! I love it in this drink too!
I’ve never used lemongrass before, but it sounds like an interesting combo!
You need to try it, it will change your world!
Interesting combo for a drink. You have me intrigued! I must try it soon.
I love the idea of the turmeric and lemongrass with coconut and almond milk. Now I can try another use for lemongrass besides stir fries! Looks amazing!
Yay! Lemongrass is so great! Enjoy!
Yes, turmeric is totally having a moment! Love the addition of lemongrass here – so exotic and fun!
It really lightens it, I hope you’ll give it a try!
Just looking at these photos is putting me in a more relaxing state of mind!! I can’t wait to try this one out!!
That’s awesome! 🙂