Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup
It’s always time for soup, right? Especially when it’s loaded with YUMMY ingredients, like this Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup! Who’s hungry!?
Squash + Coconut = Soup
Does this sound like a super-weird equation? Well, not to me! I’m always looking to “up” my butternut squash soup game and you know what, coconut is IT! I love that silky, tropical vibe that you get from coconut and it just happens to pair so magnificently with roasted butternut squash. MMMMM, soup perfection!
- Butternut Squash ‘Tis the season for squash! Butternut squash happens to be one of my favorite winter squashes, so that’s why I use it here. But, guess what!? Other squash will work here too! Yep, you could try acorn squash or even pumpkin. Just saying.
- Coconut Milk Such a magical liquid and the absolute perfect addition to this soup. It adds just the perfect amount of creaminess to this soup!
Tips and Other Ideas for my Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup
- Buy the big squash! You can use the extra to make more soup or you can save the extra to add to other dishes. I love adding it to my chili or even pasta sauces!
- Freeze extra! Here’s some great news – this soup freezes really well! So grab a freezer safe container – I like Souper Cubes – and freeze any extra. It’s the perfect thing to grab come lunch time!
- Skip the coconut. Okay, I know! Coconut IS in the title, but I know that some people either don’t like or can’t have coconut. No worries! Substitute with another milk of your choice, preferably something full fat and without added sugar.
Your Turn to Make It!
Okay, now you’ve got all of the information you need about these Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup, so it’s time for you to make it! Don’t forget to share your creations with me on IG! Just tag me, @cookinRD and I’ll give you plently of love! Happy eating friends!Print
This Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup is smooth, creamy and packed with flavor!
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 ¼ pounds), seeded, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups diced)
- ½ medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, large dice
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Preheat to oven to 400’F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and coat with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
Toss squash, onion, celery and carrots with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Spread out evenly on the prepared pan. Place the garlic on a square of foil, drizzle with 1 tsp oil, wrap up and place on the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and fork tender, stirring once halfway through cooking.
Remove pan from the oven. Transfer veggies to a large pot along with the garlic, ginger, coriander and cinnamon. Cook, stirring over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree soup using a blender or stick blender. Stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice.
Portion into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, butternut squash, coconut