I love soup. I love it more than a person probably should. To me, it’s a pretty perfect food. But only, and I mean ONLY, if it’s done right. In other words, no whimpy soup for me. Give me texture, give me flavor and give me satisfaction. Give me this Veggie Lentil Soup!
I love pumpkins. There. I said it and now it’s out of the way. I’m not sorry about it either. Because pumpkins are 100% awesome and they 100% make me happy. So happy that nearly all of the Halloween decorations in my house involve a pumpkin somehow. Beyond looking at them, I also love to eat them. And while I love a yummy sweet treat made with pumpkin, I also dig the savory stuff. Enter this Pumpkin Spice Lentil Soup!
When I tell people how much I love legumes, they look at me like I have a third eye. I’m pretty sure that I don’t, so I can’t figure out what the funny looks are for. I mean, is it so crazy to love legumes? I sure don’t think so and I’m about to tell you why. And not only that, I’m going to share a pretty darn delicious recipe for Red Lentil Dal. Read on, friends!
That’s what everyone wants right, for everything in life to be a little easier? No lines at the post office, no red lights on the way to work or perhaps someone around who can clean your house and do your laundry? Well, sure that would be fine and wonderful, but it’s just not possible. The good news though? There is one area of your life that I can assure you can be easier, and that’s meal preparation.
“How?” you ask.
Just ask my friends at the Recipe Redux. The theme this month is simplicity and simplicity to them means recipes that contain less than 7 ingredients. Brilliant! My recipe for this month is super easy. I start with French green lentils, which are earthy and delicious and hold their shape and texture well. Then, I add fresh veggies in the way of bell peppers, cucumber and spinach. I jazz it up with a little fresh parsley and feta cheese and then use simple vinaigrette-based salad dressing to put that exclamation point on EASY! And there you go, in just about 30 minutes, you’ve made an amazing lentil salad that is not only delicious, but nutritious. Bravo!
And when you’re done making this recipe, check out the recipes below for more inspiration. They’re all super delicious and nutritious, less than 7 ingredients and EASY!
And Here are the Pretty Pictures of my French Lentil Salad:
A simple, yet elegant salad made with green French lentils, fresh spinach, cucumbers, parsley and feta cheese.
- 1 cup green or French lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup seeded, diced cucumber
- 1 cup fresh parsley, cleaned, dried and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- Place lentils in a medium-size pot and add water to cover by about 2 inches. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in salt and continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Spread on a sheet pan to cool or, rinse in cool water.
- To a large salad bowl, add the cooled lentils, spinach, bell pepper, cucumber, parsley, feta cheese and cooled lentils. Drizzle dressing over the vegetables and lentils, then toss to combine. Add salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Makes 4 1/2 cups
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 307
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 7