I’m all about throwing meals together these days. It’s always a “what’s kicking in the fridge/pantry/freezer” situation. But from the chaos, usually comes success! Like THIS recipe for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
Do you use your slow cooker in the summer? No? Why not? Even though your slow cooker seems to get the most use during the winter, it makes perfect sense to dust it off and use it ALL summer! You should be outside, not in the kitchen! Let your slow cooker do all the work while you soak up the sun! Sounds pretty good, right? Get it ready, because you’ll be needing it to make this yummy 6 Ingredient Slow Cooker Poblano Chicken!
Why I made this recipe: Because certain people in my life (ahem, my friend since the 2nd grade, to be precise) told me they need quick recipes that taste good, can serve a small army, I mean, family, and aren’t loaded with unhealthy ingredients. Enter the Slow Cooker Jamaican Jerk Pork recipe.
Why I love this recipe: Mission accomplished! I’m pretty sure I met all of the criteria established during the serious brain storming session when said friend (see above) was last in town for a visit. Fast, simple ingredients, large quantity, tasty, healthy and freezable! Woo hoo! It’s always good to make sure your friends are happy.
Why this recipe is healthy: Instead of using pork shoulder, a relatively fatty cut of pork, I chose pork loin roast. This is a leaner cut and performs quite well in the slow cooker. Sometimes there’s a little extra layer of fat on this cut too, so feel free to cut some of that off before putting the rub on it. Besides that, pretty much that dry rub, pineapple and slow-cooking make this a relative healthy alternative to so many other pulled pork recipes.
And here are the pretty pictures:Print
A simple rub of vibrant jerk spices makes this pork perfect in a sandwich, on top of a bed of lettuce or whole grains, stuffed in a pita or as a topping for pizza.
- 2–3 tablespoons jerk seasoning (use 2 for less heat, 3 for more heat)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 2 1/2 pounds pork loin roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 small yellow or white onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the jerk seasoning, brown sugar, garlic and salt. Rub seasoning mixture all over pork roast. If doing this step the night before, place the pork in a rimmed baking dish or rimmed sheet pan, cover and refrigerate.
- Spread the sliced onions in the bottom of a 4 1/2-6 quart slow cooker. Place pork roast on top of the onions.
- Pour 1/2 cup pineapple juice and the chicken broth around the roast. Cover slow cooker with a lid and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove 1 1/2 cups of cooking liquid and discard. Using two forks, shred pork in the slow cooker. Add the remaining 1/4 cup pineapple juice and the apple cider vinegar. Cover and cook on low for at least 30 more minutes. Season with salt and serve.
- This recipe makes about 6 cups of pulled pork. Lucky you!
- Not hot enough? Top with a dash of hot sauce before serving.
- Making sandwiches? Top with a carrot or cabbage slaw tossed with a simple dressing of apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and canola oil.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 233
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 37
- Cholesterol: 108