Did I just blow your mind? Am I really posting a recipe for bonbons here? Yes, but pay attention – did you happen to notice the quotations around the word “bonbons?” See? You knew there was a catch, right? But have no fear, these Chocolate Cherry Almond Bonbons do NOT disappoint, even with my trickery.
Here’s the deal, I love chocolate. So much. It’s true and I crave it. But I know that too much of a good thing isn’t really so good. In an attempt to tame the wild chocolate-craving beast inside, I am always thinking up ways to smartly indulge. You know that I love mini-desserts and these little bonbons fit the bill!
Bonus! This recipe is super easy to make and requires only 3 ingredients! Double bonus! This recipe is totally fun to make and you’ll want to get your kids involved here. Triple bonus! Besides being perfectly portioned, these little bonbons come with some nourishing components! Let me break it down for you…
Yes, cherries are the star here. They are so good right now and make the perfect vehicle for the other ingredients hiding inside these “bonbons” (which I’ll get to in a second). Besides being beautiful and tasting so delicious, they are also nutritious! That bright red color signifies antioxidants, which help keep your body’s cells healthy. They also contain potassium, which helps balance the fluids in our bodies and also helps with keeping our blood pressure in check.
Yum! Almonds and cherries are the perfect pairing. Almonds are also little nutritional gems. They are a source of unsaturated fat, specifically monounsaturated fats, which improve blood cholesterol levels, which can decrease your risk of heart disease.
Don’t forget the chocolate! And don’t forget to make it dark. Dark chocolate contains powerful antioxidants known as flavonoids. These flavonoids can make skin smoother and softer and protect it against sunburn and UV damage. Flavonoids also increase blood flow to the skin, providing a natural, rosy glow. Choose the dark stuff (70% cacao) for the most nutrition.
- 15 ripe, sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Place a small piece of dark chocolate in the pitted portion of each cherry. Place cherries on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a napkin. Microwave on high power for 10 seconds. If chocolate is not slightly melted, return to the microwave and cook an additional 5 seconds at a time until softened.
- Remove from the microwave and add 3-4 sliced almonds to the pitted portion of each cherry.
- Serve immediately.
- You can buy a dark chocolate bar and chop or purchase dark chocolate chips as well.