Have you ever…..
1) Purchased the delicious (yet VERY expensive) fresh guacamole from your local grocery store?
2) Purchased the not-so-delicious (yet still kind of expensive) prepackaged, weirdly-colored guacamole from your local grocery store?
If you answered “yes” to either of the above questions, then I have an idea that will save your wallet and your tastebuds!!!
My solution? Glad you asked! Make your own. Yup, I said it, make your own. Believe it or not, it’s much cheaper (I just bought an avocado for $1.00) and even more delicious because you control what goes in it. I know, you are worried about picking the right one…am I correct? Well, it’s easy…really.
Most of the avocados in our grocery stores are Hass avocados from California. Because they don’t ripen on the tree, they may arrive to your grocery store rock hard. Depending on when you’re going to use the avocado, this may not be a bad thing. For instance, you can absolutely buy the rock-solid avocado if you aren’t planning on using it within the next few days. Just leave it on the counter and allow it to ripen at room temperature. Once it’s ripe, just put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it (within a day or so would be good). If you want to use your avocado right away, be sure to pick one that gives slightly to light pressure. If it’s bruised or dented or super-soft to the touch, it’s not any good. If you aren’t confidant, just ask the person working in the produce section. Trust me, they would rather be helping you than stacking bananas on the shelf.
Now that you have your perfect avocado, you will need to pick up a few other ingredients for this amazing guacamole that you’re going to make. Those other ingredients include a yellow onion, fresh cilantro, a lime, garlic and a jalepeno. Ok, now you are ready!
Sara’s Homemade Guacamole
A simple, spicy guacamole recipe
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (more or less based on your preference)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno (keep membrane and seeds for heat!), chopped
- Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash with a fork or a potato/avocado masher. Add remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine. Season with salt to taste. Done!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 6
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0