I love jam. I am not kidding. It’s just my thing…jam is my jam. There really is something special about it. In fact, there was a Christmas a few years back where my mother-in-law bought me jam, and it just about brought me to tears! Bless her, because it was and still is, a very happy and memorable moment. Jam-of-the-month club? Sign me up!
But here’s the deal, sometimes those jams are loaded with sugar. I know, a lot of people dig that extra shot of carbohydrate-crazy in the morning, but not me. I like the fruit and I want to taste the fruit, not the sugar. So, when I’m itching for some seriously tasty, fruity jam, I make my own. It’s completely simple to do and I love that I control what goes in it, that means less sugar, more fruit. Yay!
This triple berry jam is a great way to enjoy the rest of your summer produce. Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are all delicious and amazingly nutritious, so why not make a jam out of them!? If you don’t have fresh, use frozen, just know that you may need to cook it a little longer than the recipe below states.
What else can you use this delicious jam for besides toast? How about swirling it in yogurt? Or adding it to your bowl of oatmeal? I also think it’s pretty amazing on top of frozen yogurt or a piece of angel food cake. Yum!
Ps-Don’t skip the zest! It’s such a refreshing addition. Just be sure to wait to add it until the jam has cooled off a bit, otherwise it’ll just taste bitter.
A simple homemade jam made with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, orange and a touch of honey.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quarted (or cut into eighths if large)
- Combine the honey and orange juice in the bottom of a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the fruit, stir, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, transfer the jam to a bowl or jar and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, stir in the orange zest then cover with a lid and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 42
- Sodium: 4
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0