Grilling isn’t just for hamburgers anymore! Celebrate the summer by preparing your next salad on the grill. It’s easy, flavorful and fun to make.Print
A grilled salad recipe that easily serves a crowd.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese
For the grilled vegetables and croutons
- 1 large whole wheat baguette, sliced in half length-wise
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 “ slices
- 2 large assorted bell peppers, seeded, cut into large planks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 5 roma tomatoes, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup Spanish olives, chopped
- To prepare the dressing: whisk together the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream. Add the chopped parsley, garlic and Manchego.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium. Lightly brush the bread halves, red onion slices and bell peppers with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is hot, add the vegetables and grill until tender, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle. Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the bread on the grill cut side down and cook until light brown in color and slightly crunchy, about 4-5 minutes. Turn occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle. Chop the bread into large bite-sized pieces. Place the chopped bread, onions and peppers into a large bowl.
- Toss the bread and vegetables with the dressing, tomatoes and olives. Let stand at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Add a can of rinsed and drained garbanzo beans or cannellini beans to make this salad a complete meal!
- Raining or snowing? No problem, just make the recipe inside using a grill pan. Instead of cutting the bread lengthwise, cut horizontally into 12 pieces, slicing on the bias, brush with olive oil, then grill.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 453
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 53
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 2